Below are a sample of interview questions that nanny candidates will likely be asked by families. Take time to prepare thoughtful answers to ensure a successful interview.
- How did you start working with children?
- Have you worked with infants? Toddlers? School-aged children?
- How long was your last nanny position? Why did you leave?
- Are your CPR and infant first aid certificates up-to-date? If not, are you willing to renew them?
- Have you ever traveled with a family? Domestic? International?
- Are you flexible to travel with the family? If so, how often?
- Are you flexible to live-in during the summers?
- Do you swim?
- Do you drive?
- Do you keep a journal for the children in your charge? If not, would you be comfortable doing so?
- How comfortable are you giving us daily reports about the child/children?
- Are you comfortable emailing/texting?
Caring/Entertaining/Educating the Children
- Do you have experience potty training?
- Do you have experience transitioning children to solid foods?
- Do you have experience teaching children numbers, letters, and colors?
- Can you help with homework? If so, what subjects?
- Do you read and sing to the children?
- Do you play sports with the children?
- Do you have any experience with arts and crafts projects?
- Do you play any instruments? Can you teach our children those instruments?
- Can you teach children another language?
- Do you have experience caring for children on the Autism spectrum?
- Do you have experience caring for children with language delays?
- Do you have experience caring for children with physical impairments?
- Do you have experience caring for children with allergies?
- Do you have experience caring for children with diabetes?
- Do you have experience caring for children with ADD/ADHD?
If the above questions have been asked and the nanny candidate is a possible contender, you may choose to discuss specific questions below as they relate to your family:
- Discuss names, ages, and personality traits of the children.
- Discuss any special needs the children may have.
- Discuss the children’s educational and social goals.
- What duties will be expected of the nanny in addition to childcare duties?
- Who is responsible for purchasing children’s clothing, toys, and nursery supplies?
- Is chauffeuring the child to and from activities part of the job? If a car is provided for the nanny, what are the policies on the use of the vehicle?
- Are there any special dietary considerations for the child/family?
- Who does the meal planning and cooking?
- Be specific about light housekeeping duties for the nanny.
- Are there any pets in the home? If yes, who is responsible for their care?
- What are the parent’s expectations of the nanny’s role in the family?
- Modes of discipline and parenting styles should be discussed.
- Discuss parents’ occupations and work hours.
- Do the parents work outside the home or maintain a home business?
- Do the parents travel for business and will this require overtime and/or overnights for the nanny?
- What are the hours and days of the position?
- Discuss type of neighborhood and surrounding areas. Discuss what the home is like (size, formal, informal, etc.)
- If the position is live-in, what are the accommodations? Where is the nanny’s room located in the house? Is there a private bathroom?
- Is the family planning to relocate or move in the foreseeable future?
- Is traveling with the family part of the job? Discuss how compensation will be handled if this includes overtime.
- Will there be any temporary layoffs? (ex: parents go away with the child during regularly scheduled hours and do not need nanny’s services)
- Discuss how job performance and evaluation will be done. Discuss when raise and bonuses can be expected.
- What benefits are offered? (health insurance, vacation, paid holidays, etc.)
- Which holidays will the nanny have off?
- Are there any holidays when the nanny might be asked to work? If so, discuss overtime rate.
- Discuss what other household help is employed in the home.
- Is the former nanny available to speak to about this job?